Thursday, May 28, 2009

For the Children: Death to the DMCA!

Phrases that I really do hate: "It was for the children", "We are out of soda", and really anything that comes out of a politicians mouth.  The problem is that I have been faced with a dilemma.  As you can read, I used the first phrase that I rather despise. So much harm have been done cause of that phrase...So why not do some good.

Now it has not been long enough for any one to really know me.  But I do rather hate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  It is a royal fuck up, more so then many things.  I place it on the top just because it is the one piece of legislation that makes almost everyone a pirate, criminal, infringer?  Choose one or all I do not care really.

See as with many parents, I have bought my children movies to watch.  And some times we go on trips in our little car.  Now I do not like to hear the whiny laments of bored children.  So I do what I need to do.  I rip them DVD's and re-encode them for use on my PSP.  I then hand that PSP over with a head phone splitter plug.  And you know what you get...Golden silence for an hour and a half or more.  Something that is rare indeed, and cherished.

Now I know the argument from the MPAA, they will say "Well you can buy a dedicated portable DVD player".  But why should I?  My wife and I are already struggling to put food on the table.  I am not going to run out just to play nice.  I have a PSP, I have a computer, and I have the tools. This is Fare Use...screwem.  CSS is dead and buried.  Heck even BD+ and associated DRM's are dead and by passable.  It is a lost cause really...I just wish they would accept it.

So, I bring my rant to a close, and for the future I place this war cry: For the Children the DMCA must DIE!  I am a pirate cause they made me one...something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment